Every April we celebrate National Volunteer Week (April 16 – 22). This is a chance to say a huge Thank You to the over 350 volunteers we have coming to our PHC sites.
Did you know that over the last year these dedicated volunteers provided us with over 20,000 hours of voluntary service!
Here are some of the things these extraordinary volunteers can be found doing:
- Assisting with social and recreational activities in long-term care.
- Doing one-to-one visiting .
- Providing pet therapy visits.
- Delivering hundreds of Well Wishes messages to patients and residents.
- Helping visitors navigate our hospitals.
- Providing comfort in our busy ER’s.
- Running our gift shops in order to provide a space for patients, residents and visitors to have a shopping experience and social interaction while raising funds for our hospitals and long-term care sites.
- Providing haircuts.
- Assisting with Spiritual Health services.
- Playing music for residents and patients to enjoy.
- Bringing around our library carts filled with books and magazines.
- Beautifying our gardens.
- Providing support and companionship to those at the end of life.
This is only a small sample of the many ways these skilled volunteers are enhancing the work of PHC staff and the lives of the patients, residents and clients we serve. They really are an integral part of our health care team. Over the coming week if you see a PHC blue shirted volunteer please take a moment to thank them for all that they do.
P.S. If you are interested in having a volunteer support your program, please reach out to one of our Volunteer Resource coordinators. We are always happy to hear from you!